Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mouse Paint: Recap

This week we read the book Mouse Paint by Ellen Stohl Walsh.  We also tried a couple of different activities from my lesson plan that I posted on Monday.

We started the week by reading the book.  Here is our first attempt at trying to read the book.

She seemed super interested at first.

Hmmmmm what else is there to play with???
That's my girl, going for the basket of books.
And she is off!
We ended up reading it later that day and she did great!  No pictures of that because she was sitting in my lap cuddling while we read :)  Like the other books this month I mainly just pointed out things in the book.  We counted the mice and and pointed to the colors.  We've read it a couple of times this week and she has been engaged every time!

Next, we set about doing the art activity from the lesson plan.  I really thought she would like this because she likes to fingerpaint.  I decided to add rice and a 3x5 card.  The rice I thought might be fun to push around (that is the stuff in the green shot glass mini cup).  I added the 3x5 card because I wanted to see what it would look like at the end.   
I put blue and red in the bag so she could see the paint mix.  
She tried at first.
I wrote some letters in the paint.  This is a great idea for older children.
She wasn't too into it so I took the tape off so she could squish it in her hands.  

She promptly threw it on the floor.

So I thought hey, maybe she wants to play with it on the floor.  
So I took her out of her highchair and put her and the paint bag on the floor. 
Nope.  Diaper bag is soooooo much more interesting.
She has enjoyed looking out the front door this week so I followed my own advice in the lesson plan and taped it to the front door.  

She played with it some but not a ton.  Boooo.  I really thought she was going to like this!
In the end it ended up on my backdoor and I made a second one.
She has actually crawled up to it a few times this week.  
A bit of advice.  The rice actually made it harder to move the paint around.

As we were reading the story I came up with the idea of walking in paint just like the mice from the story.  I actually updated the extension activities on the original lesson plan with this idea because I thought it was so fun.  I hoped that this would be more of a success because she LOVES to walk now that she can while holding onto our hands.

We did this when my husband was home so I could have photos to post.  If I didn't need the photos for the blog you could totally do this on your own.  He got some great shots so sorry in advance for all the photos.  I'm just a proud Mama and she is too darn cute!

Newspaper and roll of paper from Ikea.
I used painters tape to tape down the ends.
This is Caroline helping.  She started pulling the newspaper out.  What a good helper  :)
I put red, blue, and yellow paint down just like the story.  
Pure glee walking through the paint!


ooops slippery!  Word of warning.  Fingerpaint is slippery to walk through.

Because it was so slippery and my back couldn't walking her around for forever she sat and painted too.  And yes her diaper is blue.  No way am I putting on a clean diaper when I know it is about to get dirty!
Yay fingerpaint!

Mommy and baby painting together.
yuuummmm fingerpaint.

Yep super slippery.




Daddy look at me!
pat pat pat
That paint is really really yummy.


Oops!  Wrong way.




I'm all done Mommy.
(No she didn't actually say that.  She is only 9.5 months old!
But that is how I interpreted that face)
All done and off for a bath!  Luckily it is washable paint because I had it all over my shirt!
The butcher paper activity was a HUGE success if you can't tell.  I tried to learn from the past couple of weeks and go with the flow more.  I feel like I really capitalized on her interests.  She got to walk, crawl, and pat fingerpaint.

I have big plans for her masterpiece.  It will become wrapping paper for an upcoming event I'm going to!  If you have a young baby I HIGHLY encourage fingerpainting.  She fingerpainted for the first time at 4.5 months old.  We've done it about once a month since then and it has been a success almost every time.

How did it go for you?  Was the fingerpaint in a bag successful? Anyone else try some of the extension activities?  Anyone going with the flow and coming up with new activities?

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment