Thursday, February 14, 2013

Touch and Feel Farm: Recap

Thank you for your patience.  As I stated in my temporary post, life happened this week in the form of my daughter having a horrible cold, throwing up, teething, the hubby being out of town, and me getting very little sleep. So now this results post is late. Heck, I'm just happy that we completed the activity!  Here is how it went for us.

We started out by reading the book Touch and Feel Farm by DK Books.  You could read any touch and feel farm book though.  There are a lot out there.  Like last week, this is a familiar book to my daughter.  She is really into interactive books now that she is 10.5 months old.  As I read the book we would talk about patting the animals, the names of the animals, and their sounds.  We also talked about what they felt like by using the adjectives that the book uses to describe them.  Well by talked about I really mean I told her and I presume she was listening.  Exposure is what is key at this age right? 

Like I said before, it took us a few days to complete the lesson plan I posted on Monday. Snot and feathers were not a combo I was looking forward to.  Here is how it went.  


As I was getting everything together  Caroline came crawling right over and grabbed the finger paint and started smiling and talking.  I think she remembers painting!  Remember when we painted last month to go along with the book Mouse Paint?
She was really excited when I put my hand-drawn picture on our scrap paper.  To help keep everything in place I taped the scrap paper down with painters tape.  
Oops need more tape on the bottom to keep the chicken in place!
Then I tossed a bunch of feathers down (no paint yet) so she could explore the feathers.
Before I squirted out the paint, I modeled patting the feather on the ground.   See my hand down at the bottom.  She did okay with it.  
Pat, pat, pat feathers on paint!



Oops there goes the paper again!
FINAL PRODUCT :)
WAIT!  She decided that it needed no feathers! 
Then it was clean-up time.

The next day I used the rest of the feathers to make a feather sensory activity.


First I made this picture.  If my daughter was older I would point to the  words I wrote and have her point to the corresponding part of picture.  Kinda like an eye spy.  Of if she was older she could color the page or practice writing the words by connecting the dots on the dot word Barn or by tracing over the words I wrote.
I put my picture on a cookie tray and then dumped feathers on top.
If you look carefully I also added her farm puzzle pieces.
Poor sick baby.  Her nose looks so stuffy in this photo.
The girl LOVES her farm puzzle!


Well that is how it went for us.  What about you?  How did your children do with painting with feathers?  Did you try painting with anything else? Anyone else turn left over feathers into a sensory activity?

A new lesson will be posted Monday morning!

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment