Friday, March 8, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Recap

Thank you for your understanding regarding the snow delay yesterday.  Roads were clear and fine yesterday so we were able to get out and complete the main part of the lesson plan.  Virginia weather is crazy.  Two days ago we were covered in snow.  Today it is sunny and the only remaining snow is the bottom of a snowman in my neighbor's yard.

Okay so I know you probably saw the lesson plan for this week and said something like "You're crazy! I'm not going to the grocery store just as an activity!"  I actually said that to myself this week.  I did a "real" grocery store trip on Tuesday so I wouldn't be tempted when we did the "lesson" grocery store trip on Wednesday Thursday.  I went into it thinking, this is just as if we were going to a park or a museum.  My focus will be on my daughter and not on the to-do list.  How often do we go through the day focused on the to-do list instead of just enjoying and interacting with our kids?  THAT is the point of this week's lesson.  Yes you can discuss healthy vs not healthy food and yes you get to try different foods but the main point this week is meaningful interaction with your child and making them the priority not the to do list.

On Monday we read the book outside.  It was a little chilly so we just put on our coats and brought a blanket out.  It was great!  After reading the book we just sat there and I pointed out things around us that we saw and heard.  I thought about going on a nature walk but I knew I would have better interaction with her sitting in my lap rather than the stroller.  She isn't a good enough walker yet to go on a true nature walk.  We touched the grass, dead leaves, and sticks.  We listened to birds.  We felt the wind on our face.  We had a great time.


We picked up sticks, leaves, and grass to see what they felt like.
Wednesday we went on a winter weather walk.

Hahahaha love the face!



Thursday we were finally able to make it to the grocery store.  Sorry the photos aren't great.  I used my phone because I didn't want to juggle a baby and an expensive camera in the grocery store.

Walking in.
Wow look at all the people! She loves to stare at people as we go through a store.
Like I mentioned in the lesson plan we brought the book with us.

We started out in the produce area.  We looked at the book and matched the fruit in the book to the fruit we found.  Well I did that.  She had fun holding the fruit.

Beautiful




We also grabbed a couple of types of lettuce to try.

Then we went to find the unhealthy food.  Which she was not into and decided a meltdown was in order.  My timing this week has not been great.  Oh well.  Mommy came prepared with a bottle.  So while she drank I grabbed a couple of extra things because man it is hard to go to the grocery store without getting extra stuff!  In my defense, I got chicken to go with all that lettuce we bought so we could make wraps for dinner. Sooooo that's not making it too much of a shopping trip instead of an outing right? :)

Baby having a meltdown in the ice cream aisle.
Clearly she doesn't know the magical powers of ice cream yet!
Happy baby
Our spoils!
Oops I may have grabbed a few more things as we headed to checkout.
YEAH! We're going home!
Now for the taste testing.  I started by letting her play with the fruit we bought.




Then we sampled lettuce.  Don't worry I was making sure she didn't get too large of a piece in her mouth.


Yuuuuummmm spinach.
She spit it out and it stuck to her chin.

Iceberg?
Yuck!  No thank you!  We didn't even try the romaine.  It just wasn't going to happen.
She was no longer into the lettuce so we switched to fruit.  We started with fruit she has had before like apples and plums.  This went well...at first.  



 HELLO meltdown.




So I tried to distract her with a new fruit that she has never tried, orange.


Then she had fun feeding me the food.



 Next we tried the unhealthy food.  I started with the chocolate cake.


She wanted none of it.



So I tried letting her feed herself.


Which turned into feeding me.


And finally herself!

hahaha love this picture!


Then we tried ice cream.


Which caused another meltdown.





That was the end of our Very Hungry Caterpillar food tasting.  Like I said when I first started this blog, I will share the good, the bad, and the disastrous.  Now I wouldn't call this disastrous but it wasn't great either.  We did get some pretty awesome photos though.  If I had to do it over again I would have done the taste testing in the morning not at dinner time especially when I already knew she wasn't in the best of moods.  I mean, who doesn't want chocolate cake for breakfast right?

My favorite part of this lesson was reading the book outside and just sitting and enjoying nature.  I think that is when I had the most meaningful interactions with her.  The start of the shopping trip went pretty well too.  She was really excited to hold the fruit.  I had fun talking about the names, colors, and smells of the fruit.

How did it go for you?  Anyone else have plans that flopped because mother nature got in the way?  What was your child's favorite food that they tried?  My daughter's favorite was the orange.  Mine was the ice cream which coincidentally was her least favorite.  Too bad.  More for me :)

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment